print 46

Summer Necklaces: Frida, Iris & Anne with an e

Hear ye, hear ye, I have the cutest accessory for your girlies this summer, and it’s so much fun to make. I was searching for some fun statement piece necklaces for the girls to wear with t-shirts and tanks this summer and was hoping to find some cute literary characters like Anne of Green Gables (Lainey started watching the new Netflix series with me and likes it!) or great women icons like Frida Kahlo. I decided I’d make some myself because I had a vision that incorporated my long infatuation with Shrinky Dinks. This is definitely my favorite thing we’ve made with them yet. In fact, I’ve fallen so much in love with these, I’ve turned my dining room into a Shrinky Dink necklace factory, wore one of the necklaces to drop Lainey off at school this morning and left with three orders for more.

We started with Frida Kahlo and Iris Apfel, and I LOVE how they turned out.

photo print 36_zpsb2ydv62s.jpg

photo print 58_zps3c39lfqh.jpg

photo print 55_zpscxddiifj.jpg

Then, I couldn’t stop.

Anne of Green Gables:

photo print 62_zpswifanjag.jpg

Audrey Hepburn:

photo print 69_zpsqwfwiciy.jpg

…and a list of summer treats:

photo blog 1_zpsimcrzehh.jpg

Okay. Here’s what you need.

We use the 8×10 Shrinky Dinks Rough & Ready sheets because one pack lasts forever and makes tons of charms.

Other supplies (all available at Michael’s)

photo print 76_zpsggms4jpo.jpg

The pom pom beads have plastic tubing that runs through the middle, so you can string them. The leather tassels come in a pack of 8 for about $5. The little embellishments like flowers, pearls and rhinestones can be hot glued on your charm after it comes out of the oven and adds some fun 3D detail.

We wanted fun oversized charms to make a statement, so I drew our faces about 6 inches high. I pulled up several illustrations on the Internet to look at for drawing guides, but it’s much easier to make a recognizable likeness of a figure who has iconic features. Also I drew my illustrations on paper first–easier to erase mistakes–and then, once I was happy with it, placed the Shrinky Dink paper over it and traced it.

photo print 41_zpswt7virmm.jpg

We punched holes at the top of our charms for a necklace jump ring and one at the bottom for charms where we wanted to add a tassel (the bomb pops are earrings).

photo print 73_zpsbsur9gxh.jpg

photo print 74_zpssvqsvtop.jpg

Here’s the trick with Shrinky Dinks. DO NOT INTERVENE when they’re shrinking. I think I’ve advised before to watch them closely and intervene if they’re not curling right, but after several trials and errors yesterday, we got it down to perfect charms when we let those baby go. I do stay close and watch them with the oven light on (they only take about 1 minute to shrink all the way), but the only time I stepped in was at the very very end when they were already shrunk and just needed a dish towel lightly pushed on them to flatten them perfectly.

photo blog 2_zpszknhevoz.jpg

The opportunities are endless. For kids, illustrated books hold so many favorite literary characters that are easy to trace. One of my favorite children’s illustrators is Julie Morstad. Her book Today is one of our family’s favorites and is brimming with the most darling illustrations that are begging to be turned into jewelry. So we did just that.

photo print 81_zpsmrbuy4pk.jpg

photo print 82_zpsn2pjczlu.jpg

(Let her curl up…she’ll fix herself!)

photo print 83_zpsazp65hm8.jpg

Simply obsessed with how this little lady charm turned out.

photo print 78_zpsqqqjhfjq.jpg

Cannot wait to accessorize Nella’s little red gingham dress with this.

photo print 80_zpstpsobaii.jpg

I love the way Iris looks on this stripe tee.

photo print 38_zpsoovuzuma.jpg

photo print 48_zps6hpplrgl.jpg

Family and friends have now requested Betty White (for the Golden Girls lover), Ruth Bader Gindsburg, Little Bear, Olivia, Madeline and Kevin Spacey.

Ima be busy. Happy Friday!

photo print 37_zpscpax1c20.jpg

Comments

1. I love the fact that the pieces are cusTom built. They encourage critical thinking and also allow our little ones to actual show their creative skills.

2. Ok, these are awesome! I love it (and love shrinky dinks lol). Thanks for sharing!

3. I’m just sitting here thinking what in the world is a shrinky ding.. but so cute!

4. Melissa says:

This is brilliant, Kelle! I think I have most of the supplies needed laying around my house…. off to find out! Thank you!

5. Carolyn says:

FYI…another easy way to shrink the dinks is to use a handy dandy heat tool…like the ones they sell at Paper Source :) These are so cute, Kelle.

6. I want to make these and I am 63 ❤️Only grandsons…

7. Okay – I don’t know why, but the Kevin Spacey request is cracking me up! These are adorable! And I suppose since House of Cards is about to come back on, I could rock a Kevin Spacey necklace too!

8. Love these … what about Dash? … I have two grandsons and they are going to want what their big sister has … at least I think so … I guess a super hero … enjoy all your ideas and your whole family … so happy I found your site!!!

9. Rbekah H says:

oh my frickin goodness. kelle, you are a creative genius god. my heart bursts with joy seeing these; so much so that the unicorn wings of my heart are wildly flapping!! what inspo! i love it so much. thank you for breathing your unicorn fire onto me. i know it’s just a craft but i am so deeply moved and inspired by these!

also. what a magical childhood your kiddos have! you bring out the lil girl in me that never got to do such wondrous things. sigh. now, off to the craft store I go <3 <3 <3

btw, are color pencils how you got such vibrant colors?

• Also wondering what colored pencils you are using. These are so fun – we are going to make them this weekend! Thank you!!!

10. So creative and fun! Seriously the worlds most awesome mom! I love how you tie in creativity and pop culture. Super cute! I’ll need to come back and peruse your blog when my daughter is old enough for crafting!

11. Elizabeth says:

Hi love.love the jewelry but am wondering if there is any copyright issues with using the illustrations from the Today book.
    Love your blog.

12. Long time reader…first time commenter 🙂 My heart did a little skip when I saw you have started watching Anne with an E on Netflix. I too watch it with my 9 year old but be aware PUBERTY slaps you in the face in one of the later episodes. It’s a great show but I’ve now had to have the period talk with my daughter and she is not pleased. 😳
    Love the necklaces by the way!
    Julie

13. You had me at Anne of Greene Gables :) :)

14. Kristin says:

Always love your crafts and ideas! This one got me super excited because I’ll be teaching fifth grade in the fall, and we’ll be doing a unit on female trailblazers. Thinking about adding this to the biography project! Thanks for the idea!

15. Julie A says:

My wife and I have done Shrinky Dinks for years—as children ourselves, with our nieces now in college, with our own daughters, at sleeps overs, for parties–we love them!!!
    I wanted to pass along that they make super personal and fun “end of the year” gifts for teachers and bus drivers too :-)
    Julie

16. These are super cute. Never seen the Shrinky Dinks before, I need to see if there are any in the UK

17. LoriAngela says:

I miss shrinks-dinks! Formkindergarten, I knit a white cardigan for my daughter to keep at school. She helped make a very grumpy cat button with her name on it. This as her favourite sweater. We finally passed it down to one of her figure skating students. She starts as a band teacher next year! I should make her some tiny instruments!

18. Hobby Lobby, here I come. This is brilliant!

19. Michelle says:

Love, love, love! We use a heat tool with the shrinky dinks to make mini Christmas tree ornaments by using stamps for our image. Can’t wait to make these necklaces, I already have a request from my seven year old for Trixie and Knuffle Bunny. Thanks!

20. I want one with Ruth Bader Ginsburg! I wish I was artistic…

21. Michelle says:

FYI: If you can’t wait for Amazon to deliver your shrinky dinks, Michael’s also carries it. Madeline is in the oven right now:)

22. Melanie strickler says:

Hello. I have been reading your blog for a whole now and love how much you share about your beautiful children. My friend and I were looking at your photos on Instagram and she said, “I hope I have a Down Syndrome child someday! I wonder if there is a way to cause your baby to be born DS?” I had to stop and think about that. She said it looks like such an amazing thing to have a DS child and she wants her (natural born) baby to have it. Question: my mother says you are glorifying Down Syndrome by making it look like all fun and happiness. She said she had a friend who’s grand child has DS, and it is very hard with a lot of heart break watching their child unable to do things their peers do, unable to communicate well, and knowing they will never have a “normal” (mainstream) life experience. I know many DS kids are very advanced and do live normal lives though and Nella looks like one of them who is living the life of a child typical of her age with no real differences to her peers. What do you think?

• It’s one of those things you would never wish on a child but wouldn’t trade them for the world. It’s not irresponsible to make raising a child with a chromosome abnormality look like a happy wonderful life in social media and blogs, because it is a happy wonderful life -my son has a chromosome deletion. It is irresponsible though to wish that a child were born with a chromosome abnormality. But every child deserves for their family to experience joy in them and share that joy with the world. My son doesn’t deserve for me to be sharing with the world all the struggles he has to deal with and ways he is different. His syndrome , his life,isn’t a tragedy or a heartbreak (though my heart sometimes breaks for things regarding each of my children, typical or not typical). i feel heartache also to see any children (or adults) who SEEM outwardly to have so much more challenge to bear than others but all life is a gift, suffering is the human condition but so is joy and we all share in both. Hope that helps. 💝

23. I’ve never gotten around to playing with Shrinky Dinks, but now you have me contemplating it! Just curious, how well does light come through them after they’re done? I was thinking a garland of various design across a window may be cute, especially if they come out similar to sun catchers.