I’ve been wanting to write this post for some time now, and it seems fall is the perfect invitation. I’ve expressed my love for the movie You’ve Got Mail many times before, but I know I’m not alone in my obsession–a fact proven by the 560 comments of favorite YGM movie quotes any time I initiate the conversation (there are SO. MANY, thank your). As dated as the Internet scenes are–chat rooms and dial-up connections–there is a certain timelessness about You’ve Got Mail that has prolonged its watch life into a classic many return to every year. The themes delight us–New York in the fall, charming store fronts, cozy apartments, children’s bookstores, saving a dying small town shop and ultimately falling in love; although I’ll admit the love part has nothing to do with YGM’s appeal to me. I think we all imagined being Kathleen Kelly, an image made lovely not just for her job, her heart and her home (okay her hair too), but enhanced greatly by her timeless style. Kathleen Kelly’s wardrobe was far more neutral than I usually wear, but there isn’t a piece she wore that I wouldn’t wear and love today–and that’s saying something given that the movie was made 21 years ago.
Over the years, my sister and I have adopted “Kathleen Kelly” as an adjective to describe a particular outfit or home decor item, and it’s always taken as a compliment. So I thought it would be fun–especially after coming home from a New York in the Fall trip two weeks ago–to create 4 complete Kathleen Kelly looks with 9 pieces.
The props were easy–children’s books, pencils, laptop. :o)
What will NY152 wear today I wonder…
Want to create your own timeless Kathleen Kelly wardrobe? Have at it.
1. Ribbed Fitted Black Turtleneck – This Everlane one is perfection. Once the weather cools down here, it’s my go-to piece.
2. Shift Dress (to layer over the turtleneck) – This corduroy one from Oasis has several colors and is so deliciously New York in the Fall. Their belted check one is very Kathleen Kelly-esque as well.
3. Gray Turtleneck Sweater – this cozy knit Halogen one from Nordstrom is the perfect slim fit, not too bulky.
4. Structured White Button-up – There are a lot of linen, beachy boyfriend versions white button-ups out there, but the Kathleen Kelly white button-up is more structured–meant for layering and needs a good stiff collar. This straight-fit Banana Republic shirt is classic and works great under a black crewneck sleeveless sweater (channeling the “He couldn’t possibly be the rooftop killer!” scene).
5. Sleeveless Black Sweater – Layer this J Crew shell over the white-button up, and then head to Shop Around the Corner for story lady hour.
6. Black Tights – To pull off the Kathleen Kelly look, you’re going to need a good pair of black opaque tights – These J Crew ones will last forever. I’ve also picked these Target tights in several colors, and they are great for the price.
8. Black Pencil Skirt – this is the versatile piece–goes with all the above Kathleen Kelly shirts and sweaters. A black pencil skirt is timeless, so splurge on great quality like this one from J.Crew (wool blend). If you want something lighter weight, this inexpensive version from Banana Republic Factory is a great choice.
9. The perfect Kathleen Kelly pajamas – I bought these J Crew Factory pajamas (the price is right!) for my sister last year in a You’ve Got Mail themed gift and then bought a pair for myself this year. We call them the Kathleen Kelly pajamas because they so perfectly conjure up those cozy bedroom messaging-Joe-Fox scenes.
Not included but definitely worth pursuing: a twin set, the perfect khakis, a twirly skirt, ballet flats.