Last year for Christmas, I gave one of my favorite gifts I’ve ever given–a gift box to my sister, one I planned for months. We’ve been fans of the cult favorite movie You’ve Got Mail since it came out in the nineties and have adopted quotes and movie references into our everyday lives for years, from “Thank your” to “You are a lone reed.” We’ve admired Kathleen Kelly’s timeless pajamas, chosen daisies over roses forever convinced they are “friendlier,” and have started every Thanksgiving morning for the past twenty years greeting each other with a “Happy Thanksgiving” call or text followed by the other’s quick “Happy Thanksgiving back” reply. It was time to compile that YGM enthusiasm into a themed gift box, one I had so much fun putting together. The items didn’t need explanation for a true YGM fan, but I did attach little notes or movie scene photos to each item for fun. I shared the box on Instagram after she received it, and so many of you asked about what was in it (I love all the You’ve Got Mail lovers out there!), so I thought I’d compile a similar gift box here as well as one from another favorite of mine, Anne of Green Gables.
You’ve Got Mail Gift Box
(I wrapped the box in this city wrapping paper because it felt so very Shop Around the Corner)
1. Packet of Daisy Seeds – Kathleen’s favorite flower.
2. New York Taxi Ornament – Of course you’d have to take a fine tip permanent marker and add “152” after NCY.
3. Twinkle Lights – “It will all shake out. Meanwhile, I’m putting up more twinkle lights.”
4. Embroidered Handkerchiefs “A handkerchief is a Kleenex you don’t throw away.” Kathleen Kelly carried the one her mother embroidered for her, but this 6-pack of machine-embroidered ones are the next best thing.
5. F-O-X Tote Bag – This bag is sure to attract other YGM cult members.
6. Kathleen Kelly Pajamas – Perfect for checking your e-mail in. Sadly does not include adorable city apartment.
7. Noel Streatfeild’s Skating Shoes “I’d start with Ballet Shoes, it’s my favorite; although Skating Shoes is completely wonderful.”
8. Tall Decaf Cappuccino Framed Art I printed one like this and framed it myself in a little 4×6 frame for my sister, but if you are font-challenged, this downloadable version is perfect.
9. Fox Books Mug “Picket the big bad chain store” when you sip from this mug.
10. A Bouquet of Sharpened Pencils – Gather some sharpened pencils and secure a bow around them.
11. Twig & Moss Candle – “To make your apartment smell moss-ay”
Anne of Green Gables Gift Box
(wrapped in floral paper from Rifle Paper Company, of course, because they designed one of the new covers for Anne of Green Gables book)
1. Anne Straw Hat – How perfectly Anne is this hat?
2. The Landscapes of Anne of Green Gables – This gorgeous book is full of the story and photos behind the real places on Prince Edward Island that inspired the book scenes
3. Anne Tea Bottle & Sleeve Set– I found this site searching for Anne-inspired gifts, and the entire site is full of the most adorable literature-inspired treasures, including this glass tea tumbler with interchangeable sleeves
5. Raspberry Cordial – for when Marilla leaves you home alone
7. Literature Folding Mirror – to keep in your carpet bag, of course
11. Anne of Green Gables Sticker Set – Will inspire you to send snail mail just so you can stick these all over the envelopes!