If you’re looking for a cute and simple ornament craft for this holiday week, we made these little snowmen ornaments last week, and they turned out so cute! I used to make a styrofoam ball version of these with my fifth grade students, but the dryer ball ones are way cuter. It’s a great craft to make with a group of kids/siblings because you can buy dryer balls and socks in multi-packs.
Here’s what you need:
We used these socks and these ones, and both the toddler and little kid sizes worked great because they stretch. We used these dryer balls which run a little over $1 each. You can find little carrots or something comparable in the miniature aisles of a craft store, or there are lots online—like these ones (200 in a pack—ha!), these ones or this cute button version. The thread/string is to tie the hat shut. You don’t really need the needle if you want to secure a hanging ribbon with glue (for those who are scared off by any sewing :o), but I used it to sew a string loop to the inside of the hat to hang it on the tree when the ornament was finished.
1. Stretch the open end of the sock around the dryer ball to where a hat would sit. Hot glue under the edge of the hat and secure to dryer ball.
2. Snip the top of the sock off to your desired hat height. ‘
3. Tie a string around the top of the hat (I left a little bit of the sock to show) and tightly secure with a knot.
4. Hot glue the carrot nose and paint on eyes, pink cheeks and a mouth. If you use a carrot nose that has a little “insert extension,” just poke the dryer ball with some sharp scissors to create a little hole for the extension to go into.
5. Secure a hanging loop string or ribbon with a needle & thread or hot glue (you could even safety pin it to the back of the sock). And that’s it! Your ornament is done.
*A friend just reminded me dryer balls are great for holding essential oil scents, so if you want to level up, try rubbing some peppermint, balsam or clove scented oil to make your ornament holiday extra.
These make cute gifts for grandparents, friends or an adorable way to decorate a gift. Our tree is happier.